Hongos Rellenos de Chorizo aka Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms



I wasn't planning on posting a second blog post today but man, I need a night in after the last 24 hours. Before I start telling you about my recipe, let me tell you about my last 24 hours and you'd probably agree with me that it's a good night to throw some PJs on, pour myself a glass of wine, turn on the TV and type away. No driving around, no gallivanting about and definitely no interacting with others!

It started yesterday with my UPS guy getting slightly PO'd with me. Apparently he had tried to deliver an overnighted package that needed a signature (a parcel that I was not expecting) at 10am and I wasn't home. He swung back by in the late afternoon and I was home...but he was still upset and wanted to let me know. So first day back from vacation and I'm already getting scolded by the UPS delivery guy.

Then last night I got woken up around 1:45am by two cars smashing into each other loudly outside my home, followed by high volumes of yelling and more uses of the F-word than in the entire Boondock Saints movie....seriously. Based on the usage of the expletives and the bits of the conversation I heard, I'm pretty sure both drivers were highly intoxicated. I had a *&%#$^%@!! time falling back asleep!

So we come to today...new day, new start, right? Ha! I was doing ok until I left the house. I stopped by Kaiser to pick up a Rx. As I'm leaving, the woman a few cars down from me places her Jack Russell on the roof of her car while she places her stuff in her auto. Nothing too weird about that, right? Well as I watch her, she forgets the dog is up there, gets in her car and starts to back up her car! I had to run over there, scoop up the dog and thump on her window...then I kid you not, she pulls ATTITUDE ON ME! She practically rips the dog out of my arm and tosses him in the car, mumbles something about how she "didn't forget" (yeah, right) and drives off without a "Thank you."

At this point, I should have gone home but I decide to stop at a nearby book sale. Bookstores usually soothe me. This one would have if there wasn't this guy with 4 kids who was letting them run loose like they were at a playground. I have nothing against kids, I don't but when you're outnumbered 4 to 1, you don't take them to a bookstore to browse...especially not these particular kids! They were running around like cracked out spider monkeys disturbing everyone within a 10 stack radius. One even trampled my big toe with her hot pink Croc in her pursuit of another in a game of tag. "Dad," of course, was busy ignoring them.

As a last ditch effort, I made my purchase, limped out of the bookstore and stopped by a coffee shop for a coffee on the rocks. My usual Midtown coffee spot didn't have any parking so I resigned myself to stopping at a nearby Starbucks (and the hits keep on coming...I just didn't have any energy today to challenge anything like I normally do. Usually I'm a spunky, take no prisoners type of gal!). I was so busy digging in my purse for my wallet, that I didn't realize that the barista waiting on me was the girlfriend of an ex (from a loooooong time ago). I was "graciously" handed my drink with slitted eyes; which I'm pretty sure bore holes in the back of my head as I walked out. With the type of day I was having, I wouldn't be surprised if there was spit in my coffee either.

Ugh. FML. Is it the day over yet?

Well, even if the last 24 hours for me have been craptacular, I can make yours fantastic by letting you in on this great little recipe for Hongos Rellenos de Chorizo aka Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms. Now I know not all of you are fans of chorizo- and hey, that's okay- you probably could sub in Soyrizo, although I have not tried that yet. And if you haven't had Manchego cheese before---it's quite tasty!

Note: The recipe called for white mushrooms which I'm not a fan of, they taste like styrofoam so I subbed in criminis.

Hongos Rellenos de Chorizo aka Chorizo Stuffed Mushrooms (recipe by Daisy Martinez)

Ingredients

1 Spanish chorizo (about 4 ounces), casing removed, see Cook's Note*

18 large (about 2 1/2 to 3-inch) white mushrooms (I subbed in criminis, they have more flavor)

1/3 cup olive oil, plus 1 tablespoon

1/3 cup finely diced onion

1/2 cup plus 2 tablespoons bread crumbs

1/4 cup homemade or store-bought reduced-sodium chicken stock

2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley leaves

1/3 cup coarsely grated Manchego cheese

*Cook's Note: Spanish chorizo has a much firmer texture than Mexican chorizo. Cutting it with a knife doesn't really cut it. Pulsing the chorizo in a food processor gives the nice little pieces I'm looking for here.



Instructions

- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

- Cut the chorizo into 1-inch pieces and put them in a food processor. Pulse until the chorizo is finely chopped. Set aside.

- Remove the stems from the mushrooms. Mince half the stems (this can be done in the work bowl of the food processor). Reserve the other half of the stems for another use or discard them. Brush the mushroom caps with 1 tablespoon of the olive oil and set on a baking sheet. Set aside.

- Pour the remaining 1/3 cup olive oil into a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and minced mushroom stems. Cook, stirring, just until soft, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the bread crumbs and toss and stir until toasted golden brown. Scrape the bread crumb mixture into a bowl and set aside.

-Wipe the skillet clean with paper towels and add the minced chorizo. Cook over high heat until fragrant and glossy, about 3 minutes. Add to the bread crumb mixture. Add the chicken stock and parsley and fluff with a fork. Stir in the Manchego cheese. Use a spoon to fill the mushroom caps, mounding the stuffing attractively. Bake until stuffing is lightly browned, 20 to 25 minutes. Serve hot or warm.

0 comments:

Post a Comment