"I Can't Believe I Ate The Whole Thing" Noodles in Peanut Sauce Salad


I'll be honest I'm not big on leftovers. They don't excite me. I like to eat a meal when it's fresh, then maybe I can eat it one more time the next day for lunch...after that you've usually lost me and it'll sit in the back of my fridge slowly turning into green sludge, growing a white furry coat, or fermenting (which is why I love cooking for others, no leftovers). But there was no back fridge chemistry going on with this recipe, I made it as a side dish last night and I also ate it for lunch and dinner today (it was that delish!). I ate it until I ran out of it. Additionally, Mr. S. took some to work for lunch today. It's from one of my fav cookbooks, a quirky read called, "In the Small Kitchen" by Eisenpress and Lapine. The peanut sauce is probably one of the best ones I've ever had. I think next time I might make a double batch and set some aside for satays.

Helpful hint: The sauce, in my opinion, tastes better at room temp so when you pull your leftovers out of the fridge let them sit a bit and "warm up" a smidge, the flavors will come out more.

"I Can't Believe I Ate The Whole Thing" Noodles in Peanut Sauce Salad (from In the Small Kitchen)

Ingredients

1 tablespoon diced peeled fresh ginger

1 clove, coarsely chopped

1/4 cup sugar

1 teaspoon chili paste

1/2 cup smooth peanut butter

1/4 cup soy sauce

2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce

1 tablespoon rice vinegar

2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil

1/4 teaspoon salt (optional)

3/4 lb. spaghetti noodles or fresh udon noodles

1 tablespoon vegetable oil

1 bunch scallions (green parts only), chopped

1 cucumber, peeled, seeded & julienned

1 tablespoon sesame seeds, toasted


Instructions

- Pulse the ginger, garlic and sugar in a food processor or blender until the mixture resembles a paste.

- Add the chili paste, peanut butter, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil. Process until smooth.

- Add 1/3 cup of water, and pulse to combine.

- Taste, and add the salt if needed. Set the sauce aside for at least 1 hour to let the flavors meld.

- Bring a large part of salted water to a boil. Cook the noodles, following the package directions. Then drain, rinse with cold water until chilled and toss with the vegetable oil.

- In a large mixing bowl, toss the noodles with the peanut sauce. Serve in individual portions, topped with scallion, cucumber and toasted sesame seeds.

0 comments:

Post a Comment