True Blood, Deviled Eggs, and Candied Bacon...

There aren't many people that I know that don't watch True Blood, the campy HBO vampire show based on the Sookie Stackhouse book series. Although I may not always get to watch it on Sunday nights, Mr. S. and I DVR it and try to keep abreast on the happenings of the vamps, werewolves, werepanthers, witches, fairies, shifters and other curious residents of Bon Temps, Louisiana. But to be quite honest, I don't really need to travel to the backwoods of the swamplands to see supernatural creatures walking about. I'm pretty sure I just saw one the other day in Mr. S.'s kitchen. In fact I'm quite sure of it...it was during a BBQ we were throwing and I believe a daughter of one of our friends turned into a python-child...part python, part child.

You see, I made these deviled eggs. It's a recipe I got from my friend, Sarah, they're spicy horseradish deviled eggs topped with candied bacon. Yep, you heard me right...candied bacon. They're amazing. I had them two years ago when she brought them to a party and was instantly hooked, now they're a staple at my house. Kidlet #1 loves them, as does Mr. S. Anyhow during the BBQ, I had just come into the kitchen to grab some more wine to bring out to the patio when I saw this little willowy elementary aged girl, pop a deviled egg in her mouth and swallow the WHOLE half without chewing it, just like a python. She may have unhinged her jaw, I'm not sure...it happened so fast but there definitely was no chewing involved. As I watched, she grabbed another one...same thing...she opened her mouth and "Gulp!"....gone., in one swallow. Wow.

PS Just heard True Blood just got picked up for Season 5!

Spicy Horseradish Deviled Eggs with Candied Bacon (recipe from Undercover Caterer)


For Candied Bacon:

Ingredients:

1 pound thin sliced bacon

1 cup brown sugar

1 Tbsp cayenne pepper

2 tsp. black pepper


Instructions:

- Preheat oven to 350*.

- Lay bacon slices on a rack placed over a foil-wrapped sheet pan.

- In a bowl, mix the sugar and cayenne.

- Sprinkle the bacon with the sugar mixture, then pat down so the sugar is evenly distributed.

- Sprinkle with black pepper.

- Bake for about 20 minutes, until crispy and browned.

- Turn the pan halfway to avoid burned spots.

- When cool, cut into 1/2 inch slices and set aside.


For Deviled Eggs:

Ingredients:

18 large eggs, hard boiled. See method above.

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1/4 cup Dijon mustard

4 Tbsp. extra-hot horseradish

1 tsp. cayenne pepper

1 Tbsp. lemon juice

2 green onions, quartered lengthwise, then minced

salt and black pepper to taste


Instructions:

- Slice eggs in half lengthwise and separate the yolks from the whites.

- Mash the yolks with a fork and mix in the mayo, mustard and horseradish.

- Mix in the cayenne and lemon, and add salt and pepper to taste.

- Stir in the onion.

- Using a sandwich bag, pipe the yolk mixture into the egg white and grind a bit of black pepper on top.

- Garnish with slices of candied bacon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment