Grilled Asian Flat Iron Steak



Aack! Ever feel as through you're going through a period of having the yips? Yeah, yeah, I know...technically "the yips" is used when referring to a sport like golf or baseball, but cooking's sort of a sport, right? ;) Anyhow, I've been dropping stuff left and right in the kitchen lately, unable to concentrate during a recipe and just overall feeling like I'm off my game. It's times like this when I really need to remember to take a breathe and step back for a bit. So while I'm waiting for my case of the yips to subside, I've been letting Mr.S. do some of the cooking. I recently ran across a recipe that sounded pretty interesting. It involved flat iron steaks (aka top blade steaks) and since neither of us had ever cooked one before, we decided to purchase a few from Corti's and give it a go. I threw together a batch of Asian marinade and tossed the whole lot into a Ziploc bag, marinated the steaks for 6 hours and then let Mr.S. work his magic on the grill. Surprisingly, the flat iron steaks turned out to be nice and thick, juicy and tender. Just what I needed for my bad case of the yips. I'd definitely buy them again.

Grilled Asian Flat Iron Steak (recipe adapted from Savory Sweet Life)

Ingredients

2 Flat Iron Steaks
1/2 cup Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
1/2 cup Extra Dry Sherry
1/4 cup Honey
2 Tablespoons Sesame Oil
2 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Ginger
2 Tablespoons Minced Fresh Garlic
1 teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 Tablespoons Roasted Sesame Seeds
2 Green Onions, Thinly Sliced

Instructions

- Combine soy sauce, sherry, honey, sesame oil, ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes in a bowl. Whisk marinade until thoroughly mixed.

- Place the steaks in a large Ziploc bag. Pour the marinade over the steaks, seal the bag and massage it a bit to coat meat.

- Place the bag in the fridge to marinate for 5-6 hours.

- After 5-6 hours, drain the marinade and pat the meat dry.

- Grill on medium heat for about 8-10 minutes a side. Be careful to not overcook.

- When steaks reach desired doneness, remove from grill. Allow to rest on a cutting board for about 5 minutes before slicing.

- Slice across the grain, garnish with sesame seeds and green onions and serve.

Note: If you happen to have any leftovers, they're perfect for making a sandwich or topping a salad.

0 comments:

Post a Comment