Brussels Sprouts & Shiitakes in Mascarpone



I have to admit some of my favorite recipes have come neither from a book or a world renown chef. Rather, I've stumbled across them by sheer happenstance while cleaning out my fridge, rooting through a cupboard late at night or just haphazardly throwing stuff in a pot. Like this Brussels sprouts recipe I made on Saturday night...it was ridiculously good and tasted oh so decadent, but it was made with just a few ingredients that I had laying about in my fridge. In fact, it was so good Mr. S. and I ate the entire bowl-- in one sitting. Yeah, we're not proud of that little fact...but damn, we couldn't help ourselves!

Brussels Sprouts and Shiitakes in Mascarpone

Ingredients

3 cups shredded fresh Brussels sprouts (be sure to remove the stems ends and any damaged/wilted leaves before shredding)

2 oz. fresh shiitakes, sliced

3 tablespoons green onions, thinly sliced

4 oz. mascarpone

1.5 to 2 tablespoons garlic, minced (less if you're not a garlic slut like I am, I love the stuff)

3 tablespoons unsalted butter

salt and freshly ground pepper


Instructions

1. In a large skillet or pan, heat your butter over medium-high heat. Add the minced garlic and cook until fragrant (about 30 seconds).

2. Add the Brussels sprouts, green onions and a pinch of salt. Saute for about 4-5 minutes. Stirring occasionally.

3. Mix in the sliced shiitakes and cook for another 2-3 minutes.

4. Stir in the mascarpone. Cover, lower heat to medium-low. Braise for about 20-25 minutes until the shredded sprouts get to the point where they are nice and tender. Take care though to not overcook them because, "overcooked sprouts become, yellowish, mushy and develop the flavor of stale cabbage." (Julia Child) And no one likes a mushy sprout.

5. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Stir well and simmer for another minute or two, uncovered.

6. Remove from heat and serve immediately.


0 comments:

Post a Comment