Vietnamese Style Carrot Pickles

Relationships are about balance. You gotta give a little and take a little...isn't that how the song goes? Well last weekend I got spoiled a bit rotten by Mr. S. with a wonderful dinner at Mulvaney's, one of my favorite restaurants. It was a night of delicious wine, foie, sweetbreads, bacon cheesecake...and yes, we even squeezed in a main meal in there too! (And as always, the service was fantastic.) So when this weekend, he wanted to wear jeans, see Safe House and eat some messy carnitas at a taqueria, how could I protest? After all, I've subjected him to countless romantic comedies and dragged him to I-don't-know-how-many indie flicks...so sure Denzel with a gun tonight it is (by the way, does that guy ever age?). In the meantime, this afternoon I'm going to make up another batch of these snappy Vietnamese style carrot pickles. The original recipe calls for half daikon and half carrots, but I like just the carrots. (I know, I'm a rebel.) They go perfectly with pretty much any warm weather dish (especially when I make homemade banh mi) but work well as a snack by themselves too.



Vietnamese Style Carrot Pickles (adapted from Eating Local by Janet Fletcher)

Ingredients 

1 pound large carrots, peeled

1 teaspoon kosher or sea salt

1 cup unseasoned rice vinegar

2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons sugar

1 cup water

Instructions

1. Wash carrots and cut into matchstick sizes or rounds (about thickness of a quarter). Pat dry.

2. In a bowl, mix vinegar, salt , sugar and water until the sugar dissolves. Add the carrots to the mixture and let it marinate for at least 1 hour before serving.

3. For best pickled flavor, store vegetables in an airtight mason jar for about 5 days in the refrigerator.

0 comments:

Post a Comment