Don't Throw Away Those Greens!



I'm always surprised when I'm shopping at the farmers' market and the vendors ask me if I want the tops to my beets, why wouldn't I? They're delicious! Turns out a lot of folks have them lopped off right there at the stand and have the vendor chuck the leafy tops. Bizarre! In my opinion, beet greens taste so much better than the kale that everyone seems so hyped about and you get it for free with your yummy beets. If you haven't tried sautéing some beet greens before, try subbing them in for your kale next time, I think you'll be pleased with their mild taste (they're much less bitter).


Tip: I like to use the beets to make a roasted beet salad with goat cheese and then sauté the greens- two side dishes out of one purchase!

Sautéed Beet Greens With Garlic, Onions and Olive Oil

Ingredients

2 large bunches of beet greens, washed & dried

1 small yellow onion, chopped

2 T extra virgin olive oil (or 2 T unsalted butter)

2-3 garlic cloves, minced

Salt

Freshly ground pepper


Instructions

1. Wash the beet greens in cold water. Drain. Tear leaves into large bite-sized pieces.

2. Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large, heavy nonstick skillet. Add in the chopped onions. Cook for about 5 minutes until they turn translucent and start to brown slightly.

3. Add the minced garlic and cook, stirring, until the garlic is fragrant and translucent, approx. 60 seconds.

4. Add in the greens. Season with salt and pepper. Cook for about 5 minutes, until the greens are tender. Remove from the heat and serve.


0 comments:

Post a Comment