El Abuelo - Super Tortas Chilangas



5045 Franklin Blvd., Sacramento, CA 95820. (916) 452-0126.

Sometimes I wonder what the heck is going through my brain when I go chasing after good grub, like the other day when I got a hankering for a juicy torta. I had heard about a place called El Abuelo from a friend quite awhile back that was supposedly located out on Franklin and I figured I'd ventured out there. Well, the "what the heck was I thinking" part came when I pulled up into this teeny-tiny parking lot that only had one parking spot open and it was next to a cluster of hobos. Yep, that's right a cluster of hobos...drinking 40's, yelling stuff I couldn't quite make out at me (although I think it was complimentary) and one was playing a harmonica-- I kid you not. Since I was by myself, I scooted quickly into the small building sporting bright banana yellow colored paint, a weathered shake roof and a thickly barred security door. Inside, I was greeted with Halloween orange walls, 2 TV's showcasing the afternoon's futbol games, and several families sitting in booths happily munching on a late afternoon lunch. I headed toward the back counter where I was greeted by a friendly young man who handed me a menu. Since the menu was entirely in spanish (it did have photos), I asked a few questions and eventually settled on the Cubana, with everything on it. This puppy came with pretty much everything and the ding-dang kitchen sink- beef, smoked ham, mozzarella cheese, sliced hot dogs, American cheese, egg, ham, tomatoes, avocado, jalapenos and onions...all sandwiched between a warm, soft telera. Did I forget to mention that this thing was also as big as my head? I took it home and made it through half of it, gave up and ended up wrapped up the other half to eat later for dinner. The torta was fabulous (although I might skip the hot dogs on it next time- they just didn't do it for me). The only thing missing from my Torta-Fest was a nice cold horchata...next time I'll have to remember to order one.

Crazy, drunk, musical hobos or no hobos, I plan on going back to my new torta heaven. It does a terrific job of quelling my grease fix. Next time though I'll be prepared, I'll make sure to be extra hungry when I go in there- maybe I can skip a meal, or two, or three in preparation....

0 comments:

Post a Comment