Summertime Savoy, Lime & Cilantro Coleslaw


Mr. S. lives in the 'burbs. Most of you know my feelings about the 'burbs. I'm a Grid girl. I like living in Midtown; a stone's throw from dive bars, indie coffee shops and various small eateries...the streets lined with a colorful array of Victorians, Craftsman Bungalows and hobbit-sized cottages (as well as the occasional bum peeing in the alleyway). The 'burbs...well most of them are full of...Vicodin-popping soccer moms in SUVs, identically painted beige McMansions with postage-sized yards and strip malls with box stores. I used to joke with my friends that I would break out in hives whenever I'd venture out to the 'burbs. But these days with Mr. S. having kidlets, we spend a lot of time at his casa in the 'burbs and I have to admit I'm starting to like it. To be honest though, the 'burbs that he resides in is not your typical Walmart-Roseville-cookie cutter suburb. It's in an older part of town, near the river, by a community park, and most of the residents on his street own their homes and have lived there for years. I love that he has a large backyard for the kidlets to run around in, that there's a huge tree that offers shade for the many BBQs that we've had back there and the grandma-type across the street waves at me on the mornings that I stay over. Most recently Mr. S. had a cement patio put in and I've taken to spending my morning sipping my coffee out there while tapping away on the laptop. Yesterday, we tried our hand at making BBQ'd pulled pork sandwiches and this Savoy, Lime and Cilantro Coleslaw recipe that Mr. S.'s cousin Sarah told us about. It was wonderful! Eating our dinner out on the patio under the cool shade of the giant mulberry tree was pretty close to a perfect summer eve...so maybe the 'burbs aren't so bad after all....

Savoy, Lime and Cilantro Coleslaw  (Recipe by Tyler Florence)

Ingredients

(Yields 4-6 servings)

1 head Savoy cabbage

4 scallions

1/2 bunch fresh cilantro, torn

1/2 cup sour cream

1/2 cup mayonnaise

1 1/2 tablespoons sugar

2 limes

Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper

 
Instructions
 
- Shave the cabbage with a sharp knife or mandoline so you have thin ribbons.
 
- Cut the scallions long and on the bias so you have pieces similar in shape to the cabbage.
 
-Toss the cabbage, scallions and cilantro in a large salad bowl.

- Make the dressing by combining the sour cream, mayonnaise, sugar and the zest of the limes in a medium bowl.

- Season with salt and pepper and finish with a squeeze of lime juice.

- Pour the dressing over the cabbage mixture and toss to combine.

0 comments:

Post a Comment