Lost & Found : Rosemary-Plum Jam Thumbprint Cookies

Things get lost in my fridge, it's like the Bermuda Triangle in there. I'm always surprised at the bottles and jars I find when I'm digging through the clutter in search of an ingredient. Case in point last week, I was pulling out bottles left and right trying to find a jar of umeboshi (pickled japanese plums) that I knew was lost somewhere in the depths of my fridge; when I came across an unopened jar of rosemary-plum jam that my friend Katy had made this summer and was kind enough to share with me. When she had given it to me this past summer, I remember trying to open it and the lid was wedged so tight that I had placed it back in the fridge and had figured Mr. S. could open it for me the next time he was over. Then I plumb forgot! Anyhow, the little jar of jam must have gotten shoved to the wayside at some point. In a way though it's great news....as now we're here in chilly March with nary a plum in sight and I have some delicious rosemary-plum jam to use! At first, I thought of pairing it with a roasted pork tenderloin but then I decided I'd rather make some jam thumbprint cookies. Remember the Alice Water's recipe for sweet tart dough I used it my Lemon Curd Thumbprint Cookies? You can use that dough (which is easy to make) and pair it with your favorite jam.

Here's a pic of my finished treats. They were wonderful...the rosemary in the jam gave the cookies a nice savory taste.


Also, on the subject of fridges...if you've never checked out Mark Manjivar's works you should...it's quite interesting. As part of his series, "You Are What You Eat," he spent three years photographing the contents of people's fridges- everyone from vegetarians, competitive food eaters, former soldiers in Hitler’s SS to a drummer in a death metal band. A few samples are shown on his website and each photo caption includes the person's occupation, city/state, how many people in the household and an interesting tidbit regarding the fridge owner.

0 comments:

Post a Comment