"Orange" You Glad It's Citrus Season? : Orange Yogurt Cake


I love citrus season! Last week I swung by to visit a friend who lives over in the Garden of the Gods (the area behind the Arden Whole Foods) and she sent me home with a big bag of oranges plucked fresh from her tree. I had one before we left for our coastal getaway and now that I'm home, I wanted to try a few out in a new recipe...orange yogurt cake!




The oranges are pictured here with a little memento I picked up when I visited the newly expanded Crocker Art Museum. This little gal's eyes pop out when you squeeze her face. The kidlets thought it was hilarious and the pup was intrigued. It reminded me a bit of Large Marge in PeeWee's Big Adventure...yes, I'm sure I'm dating myself with this movie reference.  ;) Anyhow, if you like moist cake you'll love this recipe. It's not overly sweet or tart... and it has the perfect whisper of citrus in the aftertaste.

Orange Yogurt Cake (adapted from Farmgirl Fare )

Ingredients

3/4 cup (1-1/2 sticks) butter, softened

1-1/4 cups granulated sugar

3 eggs

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/2 cup plain yogurt

1/2 cup orange juice

1.5 Tablespoons finely chopped or grated orange zest (I used a microplaner)

2 cups all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt


Syrup:

1/3 cup orange juice (strained if freshly squeezed)

1/4 cup granulated sugar


Instructions

- Heat oven to 350 degrees.

- Place butter and sugar in a large bowl and use an electric mixer to cream until light and fluffy, 1 to 2 minutes.

- Add eggs, vanilla, yogurt, orange juice, and orange zest and beat 1 minute.

- Add flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt and mix well.

- Pour batter into a greased 9" x 5" loaf pan and bake for 55 to 60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Ovens vary, so start checking for doneness after about 45 minutes. Let cool on wire rack for 10 to 15 minutes and then carefully remove cake from pan.

- Combine orange juice and sugar and stir until sugar dissolves, then spoon or brush over cake. Slice and serve. Cake will keep at room temperature for 3 days or can be frozen.

0 comments:

Post a Comment