Presto Pesto!




This summer I took the initiative to plant a few herbs and vegetables. My dill died almost immediately: however, my basil and parsley took off like a wildfire. So, between my harvest of homegrown basil and the basil I bought while I was at the farmer’s market this week, I had enough to whip up a few batches of pesto. I figured it’d be nice to have some on hand for when I make homemade pizzas or when I’m feeling lazy and am craving some pesto pasta mixed with fresh summertime veggies.


Baby Basils

Presto Pesto
Yields about 3 cups

Ingredients

6 cups fresh basil leaves, packed tight

1/2 cup Parmesan-Reggiano, grated

2/3 cup walnuts, chopped

5-6 garlic cloves, minced or smashed

1 cup extra-virgin olive oil

5-6 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

sea salt & fresh ground pepper, to taste


Instructions

- Combine basil leaves, walnuts and garlic in food processor and pulse until finely minced.

- With the machine running slowly add the oil through the feed tube and process until the mixture is smooth.

- If you plan to freeze your pesto, skip adding the cheese until you're ready to use it. Otherwise, add the grated cheese and process very briefly.

- Add the lemon juice. Give it a few good pulses.

- Season with sea salt & pepper. Process.

- Transfer to jars or airtight containers.

- Refrigerate.

0 comments:

Post a Comment