Slow Cooker Butter Chicken


My husband and I are obsessed with Indian Food, and over a year ago we went to our fellow foodie friends place for dinner where they served us this Butter Chicken with homemade Naan bread that was cooked in their wood stove. It was INCREDIBLE. I have never before had a better butter chicken. I'm serious, not even at an authentic Indian Restaurant. It's THAT GOOD.

I made it this weekend for some friends who happen to frequent an absolutely incredible Indian restaurant in their city...I was hoping to knock their socks off, and I'm happy to report I did just that. I also just discovered an amazing blog called A Year of Crock Potting where this woman made a New Year's resolution to use her crockpot every day for a whole year. She documents and posts the recipes she makes every day, and has not yet repeated a recipe. I think this endeavor is incredible, so I emailed her a copy of this recipe. She was excited and said she would try it out...eek! Thanks Stephanie! You definitely won't be disappointed.

Recipe by Lisa Kremer
____________________________________________________________________

Serves 4

4-6 boneless chicken thighs cut into bite-sized pieces
1 onion diced
3 cloves garlic minced
2 tbsp butter
2 tbsp oil

Stir fry chicken, onion and garlic in frying pan on medium heat until the chicken has some color and the onion is translucent. Then pour entire contents of pan into crock pot. Then add:

15 green cardamom pods (can be strung together with needle and thread - I always do it this way, and then a friend informed me putting it in some cheesecloth would be easier...good thinkin')
2 tsp curry powder
1 tbsp curry paste (like Patak’s mild curry paste**)
1 tsp cayenne powder (optional) It’s really hot if you add this
2 tsp tandoori masala*
1 tsp garam masala*
1 can coconut milk
1 cup plain yogurt
1 5.5 fl oz can of tomato paste
Salt to taste

Mix gently and cook on high heat 4-6 hours or low heat 6-8 hours.

*If you live in Canada you can find these two spices (as well as the cardamom pods) at Superstore in the International Foods aisle.

**I have also used Patak's Hot Curry Paste and it makes this dish have a good kick to it. When serving company (or kids) I stick with Mild.

Serve with basmati rice and warm naan bread.

Click here for printable version of Slow Cooker Butter Chicken.

____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
Hands down, THE BEST BUTTER CHICKEN EVER.

0 comments:

Post a Comment