Juno's Kitchen & Delicatessen


3675 J Street, Sacramento, CA 95816.
www.junoskitchen.com

Yesterday, I had the pleasure of meeting up with my friend, Michelle, for a little pre-holiday lunch. We decided to hit up Juno's, a little delicatessen on the 37th & J block. Despite having only been open for two months, Juno's exudes a vibe of being a neighborhood joint that's been around for awhile. When I walked in, I immediately recognized the smiling face working behind the counter as a former waiter at Tapa's and the owner, Mark Helms, is known for previously running the tasty Ravenous Cafe out in the Pocket area before selling it. The eatery itself is cozy (there's just a handful of small tables) and personalizes itself with small touches like the dog bed out front for furry friends but what really captivates you about Juno's is the food. It's delicious. I had heard numerous raves about their burger, which uses grass-fed Wagyu beef from New Zealand and is topped with mouthwatering caramelized onions and Manchego cheese. Michelle ordered it and I went with the pastrami sandwich since I had a burger the night before. When her burger came out, it looked so juicy and amazing, I almost regretted my decision but the pastrami sandwich was a total winner! It was served on delicious homemade toasted bread with braised cabbage, sliced cornichons and a mustard aioli (normally it would also be topped with some Gruyère but sadly I had to skip it as I had forgotten my Lactaid...doh!). The mélange of flavors- tangy, sweet and sour- was superb. Additionally, at Juno's sandwiches come with a choice of a side salad or roasted mixed potatoes. I went with the potatoes, which were tasty and seasoned well. The portion sizes for the meals which initially didn't look very large turned out to be quite filling and I left there happy, full and definitely wanting to come back!

[PS If you get a chance, check out their cute lavatory. It's decked out in an adorable woodland creature motif, complete with raccoon and deer statuettes...very Etsy-esque. I know it has nothing to do with the food...but it's cute!]

0 comments:

Post a Comment