The Best Hangover Dish You'll Ever Find (or Make)


"Because life is too short for self-hatred and celery sticks"
~ Marilyn Wann

When I was a little kid, I was a bit gullible (ok, maybe A LOT gullible) and my dad liked to mess with me. One of his all time favorite stories to tell is about how I used to love SPAM until he told me SPAM was made from little creatures that looked like tiny prairie dogs. He told me this whole tale about how I was eating these helpless little creatures (which in my head I pictured to look like a cross between a cute helpless baby seal and a teeny bunny). After which I cried and cried and wouldn't touch the stuff for a good long while...that is until my mom found out and set the record straight. Then I went back to eating the delicious fried pressed "meat," but things were never quite the same.

Anyhow, there was a period in my twenties where I was vacationing in Hawaii pretty regularly and I found the perfect hangover dish - slices of SPAM and a fried egg over a mound of steamed rice with a hefty douse of soy sauce. (FYI- this salty concoction also hits the spot during PMS week.) This dish is horrendous for your health (it's high in protein, but also high in sodium and saturated fat) but so dang delicious. It's super popular in Hawaii, you can find it pretty much anywhere. Mr. S. had never had this dish before so during a recent movie night when neither of us felt like cooking, I suggested to Mr.S. that we pick up some SPAM at Raley's. Curiosity got the better of him and he agreed. As I was throwing together the ingredients, I could see his brow furrowing and a look of uncertainty wash over his face. Somehow I convinced him to take that first salty bite and after that it was an ear to ear smile. Now he can't wait to make it again.


Hangover Bowl

Ingredients

2 slices SPAM

1 egg

1 cup steamed rice

soy sauce


Instructions

- Fry 2 slices of SPAM.

- Fry egg.

- Place steamed rice in bowl, place fried SPAM slices on top, then add fried egg. Top with soy sauce, to taste.

0 comments:

Post a Comment