The Non-Dairy Queen: Chocolate Avocado Mousse


In my continued quest to find more non-dairy desserts to make, I stumbled upon a recipe for Chocolate Avocado Mousse on Dr. Oz's website...don't raise your eyebrow at me, Google will take you to the weirdest places when you're doing a keyword search. Anyhow, the recipe sounded perfect for the dinner I had to cook for a few friends last night. I needed a dessert that was not only dairy-free (for me) but gluten-free as well (for one of my guests). Now before you go scrunching up your face and yelling, "But avocados are loaded with fat!" hear me out. Avocados ARE loaded with fat, about 20% actually, but two-thirds of the fat is monounsaturated which is good for you. They're also cholesterol free and contain potassium, folic acid,  fibre, and vitamins B6, C and E. So, hah!

Now for the recipe- I felt that the mousse came out quite well- it was creamy in texture and quite chocolaty. You didn't miss the dairy. A word of caution though, this recipe is not light and foamy like traditional mousse. It was more thick and rich like a pudding. I served mine with a side of strawberry mochi to cut the heft but I could see it pairing nicely with fresh raspberries in the summer.

Chocolate Avocado Mousse

Ingredients

(Serves 6)

12 oz. good quality bittersweet chocolate, chopped

2 tsp ground cinnamon

1 tsp chili powder

1 large, ripe Hass avocado, pitted and peeled

3/4 cup light brown sugar

6 egg whites


Instructions

- Melt the chocolate with the cinnamon and chili powder in a double boiler over hot water and set aside.

- Purée the avocado and brown sugar in a food processor until smooth.

- With the machine running, pour in the chocolate mixture.

- Using a stand mixer or whisk, beat the egg whites until they form soft peaks.

- Fold the chocolate mixture into the egg whites.

- Pour the mousse into 6 small serving bowls or wineglasses and refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or covered overnight. (It will thicken)

0 comments:

Post a Comment