Shredded Chicken Flautas

I can't believe I've been letting you hang high and dry on this recipe for so long. I originally posted this in my meal plan in AUGUST! After discovering how much I love the ease and economic genius of roasting a whole chicken, I came up with these flautas to use up the leftover meat.

What's a flauta?
It's basically a tortilla tightly rolled around meat filling and deep-fried.

Doesn't that sound exactly like a taquito?
Yes, it's a bit of a tricky distinction between the two, but from what I've read a taquito is smaller and the tortilla is made of corn, whereas a flauta is larger and wrapped in a flour burrito-sized tortilla. Make sense?

In essence there's not much difference. Just pure crispy goodness. The nice thing about these delicious finger food entrees is that my version is baked, making them easy to prepare and so much easier on your thighs.

My thighs need all the help they can get.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Makes 8 flautas


2 cups shredded chicken
1/4 cup water
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/4 tsp oregano
1/4 tsp onion powder
Salt to taste

2 cups shredded cheddar (I like old light...saves me some calories but not taste)
8 10-inch flour or whole wheat tortillas

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

In a medium saucepan over medium heat add the chicken, water, cumin, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, onion powder and salt. Let this cook down for a few minutes until the sauce thickens and the chicken is heated through. Most of the water will evaporate and you will be left with a nicely coated saucy chicken. Remove from heat and set aside.

In the middle of a tortilla place 1/4 cup shredded cheddar. You want the cheddar to be in a line down the middle of the tortilla leaving about 2 inches from the edge on either side. Place 1/4 cup of the shredded chicken mixture over top of the cheddar. Fold in the two edges where you stopped 2 inches with the mixture. Tightly roll the bottom of the tortilla over the mixture and roll until you have a long, tight, burrito tube. Place seam side down on a baking sheet. Continue with the rest of the tortillas and filling.

Brush the tops of the flautas with a bit of vegetable oil (or spray with a cooking spray), and place in the oven. Bake for 8-12 minutes, flip them over and bake another 8-12 minutes. Serve with salsa, sour cream and guacamole.

Click here for printable version of Shredded Chicken Flautas.
____________________________________________________________________

THE RESULTS?
I've made these a couple times and always devour them without blinking. The last time I had leftover shredded chicken I debated whether to make these again or try a new Chipotle Chicken Quesadilla with Pomegranate Guacamole I was inspired to make by Rachael Ray....I went for the latter and was thoroughly disappointed. Pomegranates in guacamole? Cinnamon in savory spicy chicken? What was she/I thinking?!?! Next time I'll stick with these babies and my families mouths will be happy.

I love how incredibly flaky and crispy these become without being deep fried. The contrast of flaky, crisp pastry against melty cheese and well seasoned chicken is addicting. I no longer have to make midnight runs to 7-11 for a taquito fix (what? who said that? I don't do that.)


Meal Ideas:
  • Shredded Chicken Flautas + Guacamole, Salsa & Sour Cream + Side Salad

0 comments:

Post a Comment