Dad's Kitchen

2968 Freeport Blvd, Sacramento, CA 95818, (916) 443-3237

Last Sunday was the perfect picturesque, sunny Sacramento day. I was excited to check out Dad's newest venture--Dad's Kitchen and engage in some springtime patio dining.

Upon walking in, I encountered a small, clean waiting area complete with hostess stand however sans hostess. I stood waiting for about 5 minutes at the counter, then sat down on a barstool for another 5. A few other patrons walked in, stood around looking puzzled then wandered towards the back. Finally a curly haired waitress came to the front but instead of a greeting, I got a dirty look and an abrasive, "Are you waiting for a take out order?" Obviously this person was never taught the Golden Rule of, "Do unto others as you would have others do unto you," when she was in elementary school. I responded politely that I wasn't and stated that even though my party wasn't here I would like to go ahead and be seated if possible. What I got in response was a flippant remark and a gesture which I loosely translated to mean "follow me." As I entered the dining room, I happened upon one of the people in my party I was waiting for; looking around the waitress had flat disappeared, so we took the initiative to seat ourselves outside. Luckily, once we were outside the service improved vastly. The waitress that was assigned to our table was cheerful, sweet and helpful. (Thank god!) She apologized for not knowing some things as the restaurant was new but was quick to get answers for us. She even asked Allie, another waitress, about the BFD crawfish for us (thank you!). Our drink orders were brought out promptly and my friend and I never felt rushed as we waited for our other two dining companions.

Please note that Dad's serves breakfast, lunch and dinner seven days a week. Breakfast is available before 11am on weekdays and before 2pm on weekends (great, if you like to sleep in like me). The breakfast menu consists of various breakfast sandwiches and the standard breakfast fare (omelets, steak & eggs, and eggs with sausage/ham/or bacon). There are also biscuits and gravy and corned beef & hash for the more adventurous. On weekends only there are additional dishes available: a scrumptious French Toast covered with a spiced rum banana fosters sauce, as well as Eggs Benedict and Eggs Florentine. I opted for the Eggs Benedict and it was divine. Served on a huge open-faced flaky homemade biscuit and topped with two poached eggs and the most delicious thinly-sliced black forest ham. It comes with Hollandaise sauce which I asked for on the side and was used up by one of my dining companions who ordered the same dish. The portion was so huge that I had to actually take half home. My friends ordered the corned beef and hash and the Eggs Florentine and from the happy sounds emanating from their direction I think they were quite pleased with their choices as well. We were curious about the Dad's Breakfast Tater and requested a side order to share. The taters are quite large and reminiscent in taste of a Japanese croquette. It comes with a spicy dipping sauce which didn't do much for my palate, I liked it plain better. We all decided to forgo our caffeine fixes and indulge in some freshly squeezed OJ, which I thought was quite tasty but a bit pricey at $4 a pop. There are numerous other beverage choices ranging from mimosas, strawberry bellinis, wine, beer (MKF!) and cider. Whoever chose the drink menu did a nice job, there's a little of something for everyone.

Overall, I thought my meal at Dad's was one of the best breakfasts I've had in a long time. Our waitress was friendly, the backyard patio setting was relaxing and the prices fair (ranging from $5- $15 for the breakfast plates). I would definitely return. I am docking it one star however for the extremely rude waitress that I encountered when I first arrived. After all, you never get a second chance to make a first impression.

0 comments:

Post a Comment